Specializing solely in legal marketing and business development, I have helped lawyers win more than $720 million in new business since 2001.
I work with lawyers, law firms and legal service providers — Global to Solo — BigLaw to NewLaw — helping them claim a distinctive position in the evolving legal sector resulting in greater market share, revenue and profits.
I am known for executing on strategic projects that matter, including:
Differentiated positioning in unique markets that target core strengths;
Innovative, high-profile brand campaigns that establish new markets domestically and abroad; and,
Aggressive, tightly-focused business development growth strategies resulting in quality client work, significantly increased revenue, and sustained competitive advantage
— all built on helping legal professionals forge deep and trusted relationships by putting their clients first.
Mostly, I offer an independent mind to audacious law practitioners and legal businesses that want change, and provide highly customized solutions that ensure they are one of one rather than one of many.
To date, clients include seven national law firms, four global legal service providers, and numerous regional law firms and specialized boutiques.
Clients say my “expertise in the legal industry, and experience with different law firms and range of practices is invaluable” and “planning, follow-through and execution of deliverables is like no other.” These traits plus “opinions that mean something” and “a quick mind and loyal to the core” have earned me a reputation of being “a recognized go-to for marketing and business development in the global legal services industry.”
My legal career began as the sole marketing counsel to Donahue LLP that operated from 1997 to 2003 within EY as Canada’s first and so far only Big Four multidisciplinary (MDP) business law firm. Uniquely qualified and experienced as a conduit within and between traditional and non-traditional legal enterprises, my client roster includes many of the world’s most respected law firms and legal service companies.
A recognized industry thought leader on global legal markets and trends, I present at legal conferences and retreats, act as a commentator on global legal markets and industry trends, am a featured author in numerous international legal publications, and blog “with a certain stark honesty about the business of law” on how to thrive rather than merely survive in the rapidly evolving global legal services sector.
Representative Client Work:
- Practice restructuring and market repositioning of a regional Canadian law firm to spur revenue growth. Initiatives include new practices, rebranding, website and social media vehicles, multi-year advertising campaigns, business development coaching, launch of Canada’s first full-time pro bono practice to support access to justice (A2J), and creation of a litigation referral network that began yielding new client work within two days.
- Creation and execution of a first-ever, multi-year Canadian national advertising campaign to build brand awareness for a Big Four professional services firm. The campaign that continues to this day, comprises attitudinal messaging and arresting imagery on prominent billboards at key airports, digital elevator ads, 11-panel wall mural in a concourse beneath head office, and print and online vehicles. Survey results show the firm moved one position and, in some cases, two positions ahead of its competition.
- Strategy and execution of two high profile, multi-year advertising campaigns in Canada, the United States, and South America to build brand awareness for an international law firm entering North and South American markets by merging with a national Canadian law firm and a regional Canadian law firm. Tactics included powerful messaging and striking visuals on prominent billboards at key airports, animated displays and digital signage at major arenas, elevator and digital media wall ads in select office towers, and print and online vehicles. The result is one of the five largest global legal practices with the #1 law firm brand in Canada.
- Guiding three law firm mergers in three years – an International and a national Canadian firm; an International and a regional Canadian firm; and, two regional Canadian firms.
- Assisting growth of a Canadian intellectual property law firm by doubling office locations, creating an industry-focused practice group and increasing profile in the United States, Europe and Asia.
- Develop competitive intelligence processes to focus on current key legal clients by industry classification and geographic markets resulting in cross-selling programs and new business-winning strategies.
- Develop and implement prospective client and legal business development strategies resulting in new clients, increased revenue and higher profile in targeted industry and geographic markets.
- Develop many law firm’s brands and unique selling propositions resulting in ground-breaking campaigns and initiatives that have heightened market profile.
- Law firm rebranding using client-targeted ad campaigns, marketing collateral, and events as well as leveraging firm and practice area-supporting sponsorships, website presence, and media relations.
- Overhaul deals databases for two prominent national firms, and advise on steps for future database build-outs along with staffing components.
- Provide business development and marketing audits as well as marketing tool kits for established and fledging firms as well as sole practitioners.
- Conduct business development training and coaching for lawyers making a strategic transition to new markets, services or practices.
- Position law firms in targeted markets to capitalize on unique points of difference, support key revenue-generating industries and practices, and create deeper core market penetration.
- Conduct numerous legal client satisfaction surveys resulting in increased client-firm loyalty and new work.
- Interim management on the Chief Marketing Officer or National Director level during restructurings, mergers, planned/crisis leaves, and special project management/execution.
- Audit and restructure legal marketing and business development teams, and develop and implement new operating procedures.
- Create, revamp and/or completely overhaul numerous law firm websites, one of which was named Best Law Firm Website in Canada in 2009 and won silver in the corporate communications category at the 2010 W³ awards.
- Create legal marketing communications vehicles and materials, including websites, social media, advertising campaigns spanning print, digital, broadcast, out-of-home, etc., editorial content, annual reviews, stationery, and signage.
- Develop unique law firm-branded marketing collateral, such as modular proposal templates for RFP responses and pitches, as well as presentations, brochures, client communications, and seminars targeting current and prospective clients.
- Author of opinion-based marketing columns for national legal publications and online magazines, including Lexpert, Canada’s business magazine for lawyers and contributor to internationally-marketed legal eBooks.
- Contributor of online legal marketing and business development materials produced as a first-of-its-kind resource in Canada for Lexis Practice Advisor Canada, a division of LexisNexis, a global provider of content and technology solutions.
- Member of the Board of Advisors of Legal Line, a Federal, not-for-profit service that advances access to justice (A2J) by providing free, easy-to-understand answers to legal questions organized under 42 areas of Canadian law.
- Commentator on global legal markets and industry trends. Featured in Legal Business News, Remaking Law Firms: The Dialogue, Australasian Legal Practice Management Association (ALPMA), Lexpert, Canadian Lawyer, Law Times, LexisNexis, CBA National Magazine, The Law Office Management Association (TLOMA), Association of Legal Administrators (ALA), and The Law Practice Doctor.
- Founding member of the Legal Marketing Association (LMA), Eastern Canada chapter – 2012; Judge of LMA Your Honour Awards recognizing excellence in legal marketing and business development – 2018; and, LMA International Conference Presenter on traditional and alternative legal service provider (ALSP) collaboration – 2019.
- Expert witness providing testimony at trial regarding legal marketing industry standards.